Do you have at least 5 grams of protein with each snack?
Each gram of protein can take up to 10 mins. to digest so adding protein to all your snacks will help you stay fuller longer. Greek yogurt has 50% more protein than regular yogurt and no artificial colors or sweeteners. Try a non-fat or low-fat Greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup of fruit as your next snack. You will be glad you did!
Do you get enough ORAC units (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity)?
Scientists believe that eating between 2000 and 5000 ORAC units daily may increase the body’s antioxidant supply enough to result in positive health outcomes. Try the following ORAC rich fruits:
- 1 cup of blueberries 5486
- 1 cup of blackberries 4654
- 1 cup of strawberries 3520
- 1 cup of raspberries 2789
Is alcohol slowing your weight loss down?
Alcohol is a carbohydrate but it is stored as a fat so drinking daily can slow down your metabolism making it more difficult to lose weight. Alcohol contains more than 7 calories per gram, more than both protein and carbs. Your body will burn the calories in the alcohol first leaving your meal or appetizers to be stored as, you guessed it, fat! That said here are a few of your best choices:
- a 7 oz glass of white or red wine: 160 calories
- a light beer: 100 calories
- 1.5 oz of a clear liquor, i.e., vodka, whiskey or gin w/ a non-calorie mixer: 110 calories
Do you eat at least 2 servings of fruit every day?
Fruit is rich in cancer fighting antioxidants and combined with a small protein makes a terrific low-calorie snack. Here a few of my favorite fruit and protein snacks:
- 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries w/ 1/2 cup of low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of canned pineapple w/ 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 small apple with 1 TB of natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of dark grapes with 10 raw almonds
Do you have concrete goals?
There is no time like the present to make your dreams come true! Start with a goal of losing 5 lbs. and create a concrete award for yourself when you achieve it. Perhaps a new song for your i-Pod, a manicure, or a night at the movies. Then set rewards for 10, 15, and 20 lbs and a big reward like a trip when you hit your goal weight. Write down your rewards and post them where you will see them every day.
Want more frequent weight loss tips?
Follow me on Facebook to read current and previous tips.